A challenge is a "call for ideas"
to alleviate a specific pain point that your enterprise
or your customers face. The challenge will guide the questions you
ask during your field research
and the opportunities and solutions
you develop later in the process. A challenge can be decided by the organization leaders or developed by a team. The first step is to identify a challenge that people face or opportunities that your enterprise is interested in exploring. Then through voting, narrow the list down to one challenge.
How to phrase a good challenge statement:
- Frame it in customer terms
- Broad enough to allow new and unexpected discoveries
- Narrow enough to make the project managable.
- When framing your challenge, start the statement with an action verb such as create, define, adapt or phrase the challenge as a question.
- Make the statement a succinct one sentence challenge